Adele DiRende a RoamRight Blog Author

Travel Insurance for Student Travel: Why It’s Important

As a student, purchasing travel insurance may not be the first thing on your mind when you choose to study abroad. From losing luggage to getting sick, travel insurance is a resource that can come in handy before and during your trip abroad, possibly providing you with the assistance you need even when you’re far from home.

Travel Health Insurance

Even though you are traveling, your domestic health insurance may not travel with you. In general, some medical insurance plans do not cover care received outside the United States, or even outside of your state of residence. Getting sick or injured while abroad as a student can put you in a situation where you may need to receive medical care without knowing if your domestic health insurance can cover the costs. In the unfortunate case that this happens while on your trip, having travel insurance could ensure that you’re not stuck with outstanding medical fees, allowing you to get the care you need while on your trip.

Beyond providing coverage in the event of a medical emergency, all Arch RoamRight insureds have access to a 24/7 emergency assistance line which puts trained emergency travel assistance providers at your fingertips. They also can help you find quality, local medical care and provide translation services if needed. If you’re in a foreign country, it is important to be able to understand and trust the local doctors.

Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption

Should an occasion arise that prevents you from traveling to or remaining in your destination, travel insurance may be able to provide a trip cancellation or trip interruption benefit that may cover some of the non-refundable expenses of your trip.

Some limitations apply when filing a claim for trip cancellation insurance. However, our Cancel for Any Reason upgrade allows you to make a cancellation insurance claim for any and all reasons.

Political and Security Evacuation

With many schools offering study abroad programs in a wide variety of countries, there might be a possibility of events such as civil/political unrest and natural disasters occurring in your destination during your trip.

For example, earlier this year, a team of eight volunteers was in Haiti when rioting erupted. They required a security evacuation out of the area, which cost more than $10,000. The total cost of the travel protection plan used by the entire mission group was just over $100 .

When faced with these situations, evacuation may be a necessary, albeit expensive, procedure. With travel insurance, you may be covered for any evacuation related expenses. In addition, the security evacuation coverage in Arch RoamRight plans can handle flight arrangements, logistics, and communication with friends and family.

Lost or Stolen Baggage

Travelling as a student usually means travelling on a budget, and dealing with lost or stolen baggage while abroad can stretch a college student’s budget thin. By purchasing travel insurance ahead of your trip, you could be reimbursed up to the benefit limit of your travel insurance plan for lost, stolen, or damaged luggage and personal items. Arch RoamRight’s designated assistance provider can also assist you in taking the necessary steps to replace passports, tickets, and other important travel documents in the case that they are lost or stolen.

Destinations that require travel insurance

A dream study abroad trip can turn into a nightmare if you find out at the airport that you are unable to enter your destination country without proof of purchasing travel insurance.

In an effort to protect themselves from the financial burden made by medical bills left unpaid by tourists, more and more countries are now requiring visitors to show proof of travel insurance before being allowed to enter. This ensures that in the case of an emergency, the traveler is able to cover any medical expenses should they require treatment.

Read our blog on Schengen travel insurance to learn more about which countries need proof of travel insurance purchase for entry, and visit the State Department’s website to see what other countries require additional travel documents for entry.

Note: Available plans and coverages may have changed since this blog was published.


About the Author

Adele DiRende

Adele DiRende, a RoamRight Blog Author

Adele DiRende is a Marketing Intern currently pursuing a degree in Mass Communications at Towson University. Although the wallet of a college student is not kind to those with a passion for travel, Adele has experience in international travel to places like Italy and the UK, as well as domestic travel around the U.S. In addition to travel, Adele enjoys photography, music, and creative writing. Connect with her on LinkedIn.

Get A Free Travel Insurance Quote 

Travel smarter with travel insurance from RoamRight. Get your free, no-obligation quote online today.

I'm a partner, take me to my portal

Stay Connected!

Sign up for RoamRight's FREE monthly email newsletter to get travel tips, tricks, news, ideas, and inspiration!

The RoamRight mark is used by Arch Insurance Company and owned by its parent company, Arch Capital Group (U.S.). Insurance coverages are underwritten by Arch Insurance Company, NAIC #11150, under certain policy series, including LTP 2013 and amendments thereto. Certain terms, conditions, restrictions and exclusions apply and coverages may vary in certain states. In the event of any conflict between your policy terms and coverage descriptions on this website, the terms and conditions of your policy shall govern. Click here for privacy notice.

Copyright© 2023 Arch Insurance Company. All rights reserved.