Major Tourist Attractions: Vianden Castle, Grand Ducal Palace, Bock, Mudam, Petrusse
Luxembourg, officially the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, is the world’s only remaining grand duchy. It is one of the smallest member states in the European Union, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a wealth of activities available for tourists visiting Luxembourg.
Most residents actually live outside the city of Luxembourg, providing travelers the opportunity to explore many scenic villages. Nearly one-third of the country is forest, offering hiking and biking opportunities for outdoor enthusiasts. Kayaking and canoeing are also popular along the country’s waterways.
The old city of Luxembourg is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The city held a strategic position from the 16th century until 1867, when its walls were dismantled. It was one of Europe’s most impressive fortified sites that spanned multiple European powers. The old quarters and fortifications that remain today are not to be missed.
Luxembourg is home to the Moselle wine region. Drive along the Route du Vin and learn about local production, which includes Riesling, Pinot Blanc, Rivaner, and more. There are lots of wine tours, tasting events, and wineries open to the public. Craft beer lovers should seek out one of Luxembourg’s breweries, all of which produce excellent lagers.
The cuisine of Luxembourg is largely influenced by German and Central European cooking. If you can find it, try Gromperekichelchen (potato biscuits), a type of fried shredded potato cake made with onions, shallots, and parsley. French influence is undeniable in many restaurants.
Luxembourgish is the national language and it’s not uncommon to hear French and German. Due to being one of the administrative centers of the European Union, English is widely understood as well. Summer is the best time to visit Luxembourg if you want long days and warmer temperatures. Winter can be extremely cold and snow around the neighboring regions is not uncommon.
In Luxembourg, you can:
- Visit Route du Vin, Luxembourg’s wine country
- Tour Aquarium Wasserbillig
- Take the Chairlift Vianden up 450 meters
- Gamble at Casino 2000
- Visit Echternach, the oldest city in Luxembourg
- Take the Circular walk “City Promenade Luxembourg”
- See Gëlle Fra, or Golden Lady, Memorial on Constitution Square
- Learn about Rackésmillen Enscherange, a historic water-mill built in 1824
- Visit UNESCO World Heritage Sites in the historic area of Luxembourg
- Have a romantic picnic in the village of Vianden, in the shadow of Vianden Castle
- Sample beer at Diekrich brewery
- Eat the unofficial national dish of judd mat gaardebounen, or smoked pork neck with boiled beans
- Ride the historic “Train 1900,” a tourist steam train
- Explore nightlife in the Grund
- Visit a Christmas Market
- Tour archaeological crypts and casemates
Address: 22 Boulevard Emmanuel Servais
Phone: 352 46 01 23