Tim Anderson a RoamRight Blog Author

New Requirements for U.S. Citizens Traveling to Europe Starting in 2021

Starting January 1, 2021, all American citizens who wish to travel to many popular European countries will be required to register through the European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS).

The authorization system will be used in an effort to strengthen borders and analyze potential inbound threats, a response to terror attacks that have happened across Europe in recent years.

Citizens of the United States aren’t the only ones who will have to go through the ETIAS process. Those from Canada, Mexico, Australia, and most Central and South American countries will also be required to register through the ETIAS system in order to visit the European countries who require it.

To learn more about the ETIAS requirement, you can visit the official site for the ETIAS system.

How do you register with ETIAS?

The process to register with ETIAS is done fully online and is streamlined enough that you should be able to still book last minute European getaways.

To register, you have to visit etiasvisa.com and pay the €7 (about $9) application fee. You will also be required to have a passport when registering for ETIAS.

Which countries will require ETIAS?

The same countries that are a part of the Schengen Zone are also the countries that will require ETIAS starting in 2021.

As of November 2019, these are the 26 countries that are a part of the Schengen Zone:

  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland

In addition, by time the ETIAS requirements take place, Romania, Bulgaria, Croatia, and Cyprus will likely also be a part of the Schengen Zone.

To stay up to date with the current Schengen countries, visit the official site for Schengen requirements.

Does this affect travel insurance coverage?

Because the countries that will require ETIAS are also countries in the Schengen Zone, all current Schengen Visa requirements should apply. Travelers who need a Schengen Visa requires are required to carry at least $50,000 in emergency medical benefits. This is available with most Arch RoamRight travel insurance products.

To learn more about travel insurance requirements for Schengen countries as well as how Arch RoamRight travel insurance can meet those requirements, read out blog post titled, “What is Schengen Travel Insurance and Do I Need It?

Note: Available plans and coverages may have changed since this blog was published.

About the Author

Tim Anderson

Tim Anderson, a RoamRight Blog Author

Tim is a Marketing Communications Specialist for Arch RoamRight. An avid baseball fan, he enjoys visiting ballparks and experiencing the local culture. You can contact Tim at tianderson@archinsurance.com

Get A Free Travel Insurance Quote 

Travel smarter with travel insurance from RoamRight. Get your free, no-obligation quote online today.

I'm a partner, take me to my portal

Stay Connected!

Sign up for RoamRight's FREE monthly email newsletter to get travel tips, tricks, news, ideas, and inspiration!

The RoamRight mark is used by Arch Insurance Company and owned by its parent company, Arch Capital Group (U.S.). Insurance coverages are underwritten by Arch Insurance Company, NAIC #11150, under certain policy series, including LTP 2013 and amendments thereto. Certain terms, conditions, restrictions and exclusions apply and coverages may vary in certain states. In the event of any conflict between your policy terms and coverage descriptions on this website, the terms and conditions of your policy shall govern. Click here for privacy notice.

Copyright© 2024 Arch Insurance Company. All rights reserved.