Major Tourist Attractions: Ionian Islands, Acropolis of Athens, Parthenon, Colossus of Rhodes, Meteora
With its mild Mediterranean climate, beautiful islands, and abundant important archaeological sites, Greece offers the best combination of an educational and beach vacation. Whether you choose to stay on the mainland or venture to some of Greece’s islands, you’ll find striking shorelines and countless historical areas to explore.
Greece’s roots can be traced back to the Paleolithic Age (approximately 120,000 to 10,000 BC). It’s considered part of Southern Europe, and Greece’s coastlines and islands are located on the Aegean, Ionian, and Mediterranean Seas.
When it comes to historic sites and museums, there are endless options in every corner of the country. There are monuments and antiquities representing all of the different periods in Greece’s history. Don’t miss those related to the Olympics, as Greece was the birthplace of the Olympic Games.
The food and drink scene is a huge part of Greek culture. As you travel throughout the country, try regional specialties that you may not encounter elsewhere on your travels. Greek wines are spectacular and oenophiles can visit a number of wineries throughout the country.
The annual tourist season in Greece is primarily April through October, with the summer months accounting for the peak travel period. While anytime of the year is great to visit, it’s possible some resorts and restaurants on the islands may not be open outside of the main tourist season.
Flights and ferries are the best methods of transportation to reach Greece and the islands. Public transportation in big cities like Athens is efficient, and taxis are plentiful, but they are not always easy to hail, especially at night.
In Greece, you can:
- Climb up to the Acropolis and visit the Parthenon in Athens
- Visit the archaeological site of Knossos on Crete
- Check out the beaches on the medieval island of Rhodes
- Take in a sunset from Oia in Santorini
- Tour Olympia, the site of the ancient Olympics
- Explore Byzantine monasteries in Meteora
- Visit Delos, the birthplace of Apollo and Artemis
- Wander Athens’ old district, the Plaka
- Spend a few nights on one of Greece’s noted islands like Mykonos or Ios
- Eat traditional and regional Greek specialties
- Visit a winery on Santorini
Address: 91 Vasilisis Sophias Avenue