Major Tourist Attractions: Duero, Belem Tower, Lisbon Oceanarium, Pena National Palace, Jeronimos Monastery
Portugal Travel Insurance
Arch RoamRight offers travel insurance for U.S. residents traveling to Portugal. Whether you need travel insurance to help protect the expenses you’ve paid into your vacation, or short-term travel medical insurance while you’re in Portugal, we have several travel insurance plans for you to choose from. Get started by completing our quote form above.
Portugal is located on the southwestern edge of Europe and has some of the warmest climates in the continent.
Famous for its beaches, food and castles, Portugal is an excellent choice for a visit with its mix of European charm and laid back pace of life. The country is well connected via plane, train and bus, making travel in and out of the country simple. Peak
travel season tends to be summer but the warm climate makes visiting during shoulder season a great alternative.
English is commonly spoken in the major cities of Lisbon and Porto as well many of the tourist locations. Sampling Portuguese food is a must during any visit and seafood is one of the most common fares. Relaxing at a seaside restaurant while enjoying
freshly prepared sardines sprinkled with sea salt and lemon is a highlight you shouldn’t miss.
Portugal offers an array of lodging options from backpacker hostels to relaxing beach resorts. In addition to the historical sites, beaches are probably one of the most popular tourist destinations so you’ll find many seaside hotels. Prices in Portugal
tend to be some of the lowest in Western Europe so things like lodging, food, and entertainment won’t put too much strain on your wallet.
Here is a look at some of the adventures that await travelers to Portugal:
- See a live Fado music performance in the Barrio Alto in Lisbon
- Relax on the beaches in Algarve
- Take the famous yellow trolley around Lisbon
- Visit the Pena National Palace in Sintra, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Check out Nazare, a surfer’s paradise just 78 miles north of Lisbon
- Visit the stunning ocean cliffs in Lagos
- Do a wine tour in Porto, the wine capital of Portugal and origin of Port wine
- Relax in the beautiful coastal town of Cascais
- Visit the mountains in the Sintra-Cascais Nature Park near Lisbon
- Attend St. Anthony’s Day, Lisbon’s biggest street party with outdoor parade, BBQ and dancing
- Visit the Moorish-style Sao George castle at the hilltop in Lisbon
- Experience the outdoor nightlife in Lisbon, Porto or Albufeira
- Attend the music Festival do Sudoeste in August near Zambujeira do Mar, in southern Portugal
- Go cycling in the mountains of Geres
Address: Avenida das Forças Armadas
1600-081 Lisboa or
Phone: 351-21-727-3300 or