Major Tourist Attractions: Port El Kantaoui, Dougga, Al-Zaytuna Mosque, Bardo National Museum, El Ghriba Synagogue
Tunisia Travel Insurance
Arch RoamRight offers travel insurance for U.S. residents traveling to Tunisia. Whether you need travel insurance to help protect the expenses you’ve paid into your vacation, or short-term travel medical insurance while you’re in Tunisia, we have several travel insurance plans for you to choose from. Get started by completing our quote form above.
As one of the most underrated countries in the world, Tunisia can easily pass under the radar, yet once there, it will surprise you with its colorful culture, charismatic locals, and rich history.
Tunisia sits on the northern coast of Africa, which allows it to have a mix of regions that go from Mediterranean landscapes and architecture on the north, to adobe desert structures near oases and nomadic tents in the middle of the desert on the south.
The country may have gone though recent revolutions, but don’t let this deter you from visiting. Tunisia is a safe country and now it is even more interesting than before since it is entering a new chapter in its chameleonic history, which includes the
Roman Empire, Bedouins, Berbers, Arabs, the Ottoman Empire, the French, and more. And, maybe we can add to the list the Star Wars pop culture the country gained after several of the franchise’s movies were partially filmed there.
The range of accommodation in Tunisia is one of the most interesting and deep-rooted you’ll ever find. They go from underground Troglodyte homes in Matmata, to Bedouin tents in the desert, to Berber adobe structures in the dry plains.
Since Tunisia is not widely visited by many, traveling it feels like a unique adventure and heading into the desert feels like a real expedition. But, more specifically, here’s what you should look forward when you go to Tunisia:
- Ride a camel and camp in the Sahara Desert near the town of Douz.
- Stay in an underground Troglodyte Hotel in Matmata.
- Visit the Bedouin and Berber Kzour in Tataouine.
- Hunt for Star Wars sets and locations spread all around the country, including Ong El Jemel in the desert.
- Visit the Roman ruins of Bulla Reggia, Carthage, and Dougga.
- Marvel at El Djem Roman stadium – where some scenes of Gladiator were filmed.
- Go on a desert safari and hop between several oasis by Tozeur.
- Visit the Great Mosque of Kairouan – one of the oldest places of worship in the Islamic world.
- See the impressive mosaic collection at the Bardo Museum in Tunis.
- Chill and enjoy the beach in the island of Djerba.
- Visit the photogenic village of Sidi Bou Saïd in Tunis.
- Indulge in the traditional Tunisian food, which combines Arabic, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern and French influences.
Address: Les Berges du Lac
Phone: 216 71 107 000