Major Tourist Attractions: Tofua, Ha'amonga 'a Maui, Hufangalupe
Surrounded by coral reefs, Tonga is a dream for those who love the ocean. Coastal blowholes, coral atolls and whale watching opportunities are found across the over 100 islands that make up this South Pacific paradise. Whether you chose to laze on the beach on land, or cruise the islands by yacht, Tonga makes a perfect vacation spot.
With English widely spoken in a country dubbed ‘The Friendly Islands’, Tonga is an easy country to explore. Step back in time with an island that has no corporate chains, just locally run businesses with unique flavors. Polynesian roots can be tasted in the coconut infused dishes, whether feasted in a hole-in-the-wall style food hut or the ever popular dinner and dance performances put on by larger resorts.
Hotels in Tonga range from lavish to budget, and spread out across the country onto many of the islands. The size of each hotel tends to be rather small, making each resort more like a boutique hotel that is catering to you alone.
Travel between islands is easy, although just as relaxed as the local lifestyle. Speed limits on islands with roads are set at 40km/hr and getting between islands is either a quick flight or a smooth sail.
Here is a list of adventures that await you in Tonga:
- Drink kava, a native cocktail that is more sedative than alcoholic.
- Explore the ancient tombs including the massive limestone monument of Ha'amonga'a Maui.
- Watch the coastal blowholes of Tongatapu.
- Trek along the steep cliffs overlooking the emerald green waters of Eua.
- Snorkel or swim the coral atolls of Vava’u.
- Swim with humpback whales off the coast of Vava’u.
- Find a palm shaded beach along the emerald coastline.
- Dive beside the underwater volcano of Niuafo’ou.
- Deep sea fish for big game such as marlins, swordfish and spearfish.
Address: Embassy of the United States of America,
158 Princes Rd, Tamavua, Suva, Fiji
P.O. Box 218, Suva, Fiji.