Major Tourist Attractions: Frigate Bay, Mount Liamuiga, Brimstone Hill Fortress National Park, Independence Square, Cottle Church
St. Kitts and Nevis is a twin island nation located in the northern Leeward Islands of the Caribbean and a former British territory. The two islands are special for many reasons, but it’s their off-the-beaten-path personality that gives them that authentic Caribbean feeling. Neither island is overrun by mass tourism; so much of the genuine character still exists.
St. Kitts is the larger of the two islands; it’s shaped like a chicken leg with a large central mountain range that is dominated by Mount Liamuiga on the northern end of the island. The capital and main city of Basseterre has charming streets that are good for exploring and a small port area for cruise ships.
If you’re looking for entertainment on St. Kitts, look no further than Frigate Bay. It’s home to “The Strip,” a strip of sand lined with more than a dozen colorful beach bars, the most popular being the Shiggidy Shack. Other notable St. Kitts attractions include the large British fort called Brimstone Hill Fortress, beautiful Cockleshell beach, and the historic Sugar Train.
Nevis sits just two miles to the southeast of St. Kitts across a narrow passage of water called the narrows. This beautiful island is dominated by the ever present Nevis Peak, a dormant volcano covered in lush green rainforest that climbs skyward to a mostly cloud covered peak.
Definitely the more laid-back of the two islands, Nevis is quiet and serene. The main settlement of Charlestown does offer a few shopping opportunities, but visitors usually need to create their own entertainment.
If traveling to St. Kitts and Nevis in the future, here is a list of activities that await you:
- Hike to the top of Mount Liamuiga. An extinct volcano surrounded by dense rainforest
- Hike to the top of Nevis Peak
- Tour the country side of St. Kitts by riding the historic Sugar Train
- Spend a day relaxing and sipping Killerbee drinks at Sunshine’s Beach Bar on Nevis
- Experience a beach bonfire at the Shiggidy Shack on Frigate Bay, St. Kitts
- Tour the massive Brimstone Hill Fortress on St. Kitts
- Unwind on beautiful Cockleshell Beach on the southern end of St. Kitts. It offers stunning views of Nevis and is home to Reggae Beach Bar.
- Play a round of golf at the St. Kitts Marriott Resort
- Tour the lush tropical grounds at The Hermitage Plantation Inn on Nevis
Address: Wildey Business Park
St. Michael BB 14006