Major Tourist Attractions: Lake Skadar, Porto Montenegro, Ostrog Monastery, Ada Bojana, Lovcen
Montenegro Travel Insurance
Arch RoamRight offers travel insurance for U.S. residents traveling to Montenegro. Whether you need travel insurance to help protect the expenses you’ve paid into your vacation, or short-term travel medical insurance while you’re in Montenegro, we have several travel insurance plans for you to choose from. Get started by completing our quote form above.
One of the smallest, and newest, countries in Europe, Montenegro only claimed its independence from Serbia in 2006. Since then this tiny country has become a popular tourism spot due to its small but pleasant coastline and natural inland beauty.
The capital city of Podgorica is not considered much of an attraction, instead visitors flock to coastal cities like Budva and Kotor. Unfortunately these areas are quickly being commercialized with resorts and hotels. In contrast, vast swathes of Montenegro’s
wilderness are virtually untouched. The often overlooked National Parks are exceptional: Biogradska Gora National Park contains some of Europe's last untouched forests while Durmitor National Park is home to Tara Canyon, the deepest canyon in Europe.
Adventure tourism is a growing industry here with opportunities for kayaking, rafting, mountain climbing, paragliding and more.
Tourism in Montenegro is still a developing industry and many areas off the beaten track can only be reached via overnight bus. Russian is more widely spoken than English in many places due to an influx of Russian tourists. Nonetheless, travel isn't difficult,
and is cheaper than in neighboring Croatia.
Some of the many unique activities found only in Montenegro include:
- Hike to the top of the old fort for a stunning view of the Bay of Kotor
- Relax on a sandy beach in Budva, Montenegro’s most popular beach town
- Take a boat tour of Lake Skadar, a large, peaceful freshwater lake
- Spot bears, lynx and wolves in some of the last untouched forests in Europe
- Try Montenegro's unique take on smoked ham, njeguški pršut
- Kayak, mountain bike or hike through Durmitor National Park
- Get lost in one of the historical walled cities that dot the coastline
Address: Dzona Dzeksona 2
Phone: 382 (0)20 410 500