Major Tourist Attractions: Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam Botanical Garden, Trou aux Cerfs, Tamarind Falls, Jummah Masjid
Mauritius Travel Insurance
Arch RoamRight offers travel insurance for U.S. residents traveling to Mauritius. Whether you need travel insurance to help protect the expenses you’ve paid into your vacation, or short-term travel medical insurance while you’re in Mauritius, we have several travel insurance plans for you to choose from. Get started by completing our quote form above.
From the bustling markets of Central Bazaar in Port Louis, the glistening shores of Flic en Flac beach, and the sugar cane fields in between, Mauritius is an exciting island to explore.
Africa and India are near this island paradise; these countries influences are reflected in the local cuisine and many other aspects of Mauritian life. French is widely spoken as is English and Mauritian Creole.
Luxurious beach resorts make Mauritius a honeymooner’s paradise. Although hot all year round, the best months to visit with less rainfall are April to June and September to December.
Here are some adventures to be had in Mauritius:
- Jump on a boat trip for the day, visit a waterfall, swim with dolphins and relax on the tiny island of Il aux Cerfs
- Visit the Natural History Museum in Port Louis to learn some interesting facts about the Dodo, a flightless bird that became extinct in the 1600s and was found only to inhabit on Mauritius
- Go to the village of Triolet Shivala to see Maheswarnath, the largest Hindu temple in Mauritius
- Drink a local Phoenix beer at Lambic bar and restaurant in Port Louis, the only microbrewery on the island, owned by The Flying Dodo Brewery
- Haggle for a bargain at Central Market in Port Louis
- After visiting the colored sands at Chamarel, sample Mauritian rum at Rhumerie de Chamarel, Chamarel’s rum distillery
- Kite surf or swim in the crystal clear waters at Le Morne, surrounded by lush rainforest and the well-known Le Morne Mountain
- The sacred Hindu lake Grand Bassin on the south of the island is well worth a visit, nearby is a huge statue of the Hindu god Shiva, along with some impressive temples
Address: 4th Floor, Rogers House
John Kennedy Avenue
P.O. Box 544
Republic of Mauritius
Phone: (230) 202-4400