Major Tourist Attractions: Mount Korab, Kokino, Stone Bridge, Arabati Baba Teke, Church of St. Panteleimon
Macedonia Travel Insurance
Arch RoamRight offers travel insurance for U.S. residents traveling to Macedonia. Whether you need travel insurance to help protect the expenses you’ve paid into your vacation, or short-term travel medical insurance while you’re in Macedonia, we have several travel insurance plans for you to choose from. Get started by completing our quote form above.
From connecting with nature on a mountain hike, relaxing next to one of the oldest lakes in the world, or diving into its sorted and complex history, Macedonia offers up an array of experiences to feed any travelers appetite.
Neighbored by Greece, Kosovo, Bulgaria, Serbia and Albania, Macedonia is often overlooked as a European vacation spot. Those who do find their way to the Slavic nation, however, quickly appreciate its charm and wish they’d visited sooner.
Damaged in the past by war and earthquakes, there is a great deal of rebuilding happening, especially in the capital of Skopje. Macedonians are friendly and welcoming, happy to share with you their story and pride for their country.
Both affordable and small in size, many visitors spread their visit over multiple towns. Starting in Skopje, it is a short journey to beautiful Ohrid for some lakeside relaxation while admiring the views of Albania in the distance.
Much like it’s people, Macedonian dishes are diverse and incorporate many herbs and vegetables for which the country is famous.
Here is a rundown of some of the best things to do when visiting:
- Swim or take a boat ride in the famous Lake Ohrid.
- Eat Ajvar, made of delicious Macedonian roasted red peppers and garlic.
- Relax and sip coffee at one of Skopje’s street cafes.
- Try Macedonian wines in the vineyards of the Tikves region.
- Stroll and shop in Bitola’s outdoor bazaar.
- Hop over to nearby Thessaloniki, Greece for a night or even a day.
- Head to Lake Matka to enjoy water sports and local caves.
- Visit the 6th century AD Skopje Fortress, also known as Kale Fortress.
- Bike from Ohrid to the Monastary of Saint Naum on the Albanian border.
- Explore the ancient ruins of Stobi.
- Visit the Memorial House of Mother Teresa in her birthplace now known as Skopje.
- Hike one of Macedonia’s highest mountains: Baba, Sar or Korab.
- Eat Burek, a pastry often filled with feta, minced meat and spinach.
- Discover the arches of the ancient aqueduct just outside Skopje.
- Rent an apartment in one of the famous houses of Ohrid’s old town.
Address: Str. "Samoilova" Nr.21
Republic of Macedonia
Phone: 389 2 310-2000