Major Tourist Attractions: Maasai Mara, Nairobi National Park, Diani Beach, Tsavo East National Park, Lake Nakuru
Kenya, considered by many as the heartland of East Africa, is one of the countries in the region that has captivated many travelers with its beauty, rawness, and simplicity. There is no shortage of culture in Kenya, which spans back to the early developments of humankind. Its over 70 different tribes – including Kikuyu, Kamba, Gusii, Luhya, and Luo, to name a few – speak of the cultural diversity that makes this country so interesting and rich, yet at the same time hard to fully understand.
To really experience Kenya, you must safari, which actually is the Swahili word for travel. Yes, you must safari the country and you must safari too. Kenya is known worldwide for its exceptional game viewing, set in diverse ecosystems in some of the best national parks and game reserves in Africa.
From snow-capped mountains, semi-arid desert regions and rain forests, to flamingo lakes, acacia-studded Savannah, white palm-fringed ocean beaches and coral reefs, Kenya makes the most of its equatorial location and high altitude terrains to be as ecologically versatile as any country can be.
When in Kenya, these are a few thing you should not miss doing:
- Go on a safari and spot the big 5 (leopard, lion, rhinoceros, buffalo, and elephant)
- Visit an elephant orphanage and adopt a baby elephant
- Go to the oldest living town in Kenya, located in Lamu island
- Watch the flamingos and scenery at Lake Nakuru
- Spend some time visiting the tribes to see first hand their interesting culture
- Witness the “great migration” from July to October as millions of wildebeest and zebras migrate from Serengeti national Park in Tanzania to Masai Mara National Park in Kenya
- Swim, snorkel, or surf in the beautiful beaches of Malindi
- Hike and climb to the top of the second tallest mountain in Africa, Mount Kenya (5199 meters or 17,057 feet)
Address: United Nations Avenue Nairobi
P. O. Box 606 Village Market
00621 Nairobi, Kenya
Phone: 254 20 363-6000