Major Tourist Attractions: Victoria Peak, Ocean Park, Lantau Island, Kowloon Walled City, International Finance Centre
Hong Kong is undeniably one of the most beloved destinations in the world. It’s chaotic charm, dizzying skyscrapers, and rich colonial and Chinese past help make Hong Kong one of the most visited spots in Asia.
Officially known as the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China, Hong Kong encompasses less than 500 square miles of land. It is home to over seven million people, making it one of the most densely populated areas in the world.
Despite Hong Kong’s small size and massive population, there is a ton of outdoor adventure waiting for travelers. Explore Hong Kong’s nature parks, hiking and biking trails, or scope out one of the quiet beaches. Delve into Hong Kong’s colonial and Chinese background through temples, historical buildings, and certainly the cuisine.
Dine on traditional Chinese eats or make a reservation for one of the city’s award-winning fine-dining establishments. Wander the markets like Temple Street or Ladies’ Market. If you’re traveling with family, make time for a day at Hong Kong Disneyland or Ocean Park.
When the sun sets, Hong Kong really comes alive. Check out the nightly light show on Victoria Harbour, take in the views from Victoria Peak or a rooftop bar, and check out some of the noted nightlife areas, offering an eclectic mix of funky restaurants, lounges, and bars.
English and Cantonese are the official languages in Hong Kong. Hong Kong is subtropical and enjoys temperate weather most of the year. It also falls within the Pacific typhoon zone, whose season typically runs June through October.
Numerous carriers fly in and out of Hong Kong International Airport daily. Driving in Hong Kong is not suggested and it’s best to use public transportation to get around. The MTR system is cheap and efficient, and taxi cabs are plentiful. There is an express train from the airport to town, and be sure to utilize in-town check-in if possible as it will save you time on departure.
- Spend a day at Hong Kong Disneyland or Ocean Park
- Take the cable car up to Victoria Peak
- Watch the Victoria Harbour Light Show
- Take the Star Ferry between Hong Kong Island and Kowloon
- Wander the Avenue of the Stars and marvel at this historic clock tower
- Visit the Big Buddha, Po Lin Monastery, and ride the cable car on Lantou
- Go shopping at Harbour City, one of Hong Kong’s biggest and most impressive shopping and entertainment complexes
- Explore Hong Kong’s Chinese and Colonial historical sites
- Ride a traditional Chinese Junk Boat
- Watch a Chinese Opera
- Learn about Chinese tea and a proper tea ceremony
- Check out the party scene in one of the noted nightlife areas like Lan Kwai Fong
Address: 26 Garden Road,
Central, Hong Kong
Phone: (852) 2841-2211
Afterhours: (852) 2523-9011, press 2 for English and 1 for emergencies