Major Tourist Attractions: Rock of Gibraltar, Catalan Bay, St. Michael's Cove, Moorish Castle, Europa Point
Gibraltar Travel Insurance
Arch RoamRight offers travel insurance for U.S. residents traveling to Gibraltar. Whether you need travel insurance to help protect the expenses you’ve paid into your vacation, or short-term travel medical insurance while you’re in Gibraltar, we have several travel insurance plans for you to choose from. Get started by completing our quote form above.
The tiny outpost of Gibraltar is a little bit of British flavor right on the European continent. This overseas territory of the United Kingdom has been contested for over 300 years between Spain and the UK, but it offers visitors a chance to grab a pint,
enjoy the warm weather and reconnect with both Britain’s and Spain’s naval histories.
In 1704, Britain won this chunk of rock at the bottom of Europe from Spain in the War of Spanish Succession. Since then, it has been governed as an overseas protectorate of the Crown. At times, Gibraltar seems to suffer from multiple personalities. English
and Spanish cultural elements frequently exist in parallel – food, history, architecture, and languages. Many visitors come as day-trippers from Spain or North Africa and are looking to claim another country on their travel bucket lists or another
stamp in their passport. However, looking beyond Gibraltar’s quirky Anglo personality, there’s a rich naval history to explore and a visit to The Rock is at the top of every visitor’s list.
Its location at the tip of Spain gives it amazingly warm weather, while putting it less than a three-hour flight from London. In recent years, Gibraltar has become a popular destination wedding location for Brits seeking to escape the drab weather back
home. Lodging on the peninsula ranges from deluxe accommodations to hostels and self-catering. Located strategically at the entrance to the Mediterranean Sea, it is a common cruise port and also a launching point for overland travel of North Africa.
Here are some of the activities for travelers to Gibraltar:
- Ride the cable car to the top of The Rock and enjoy stunning views of Africa and Spain.
- Learn about the rich naval history and geography of the territory at the Gibraltar Museum.
- Visit Europa Point and see where the Atlantic meets the Mediterranean.
- Enjoy a proper British pint with fish and chips in a local restaurant.
- Hike the trails on The Rock for exercise, or overcome your fear of heights by tackling the Mediterranean Steps on the east side of The Rock.
- Envision what it was like to survive the Great Siege by visiting the Siege Tunnels.
- Pose for a photo with the famous Barbary Macaques (monkeys).
- Explore St. Michael’s Cave that has fascinated visitors since Roman times.
- Enjoy scuba diving on the wrecks and reefs of Gibraltar’s pristine waters.
- Go sailing on the Mediterranean and see the dolphins at play in the bay.
- Take a day trip to Spain or Morocco.
Address: No US Embassy or Consulate
Phone: For passport problems, contact Madrid Embassy
To call Madrid from Gibraltar: 00 34 91-587-2240
Emergency: 00 34 91-587-2200