Major Tourist Attractions: Caye Caulker, Great Blue Hole, Ambergris Caye, Belize Barrier Reef, Caracol
Whether you want to climb Maya temples, zip line through the jungles, dive one of the largest coral reefs in the world, or simply lounge on the beach, Belize is your perfect Central American vacation spot.
As the only official English speaking nation in Central America, Belize is one of the easiest countries to travel to and one of the hardest to leave. Visitors to Belize typically find it impossible to resist the country’s idyllic charms and almost immediately succumb to a more relaxed pace. Visit the cayes and you’ll find the “Go Slow” signs referring to the way of life in Belize rather than the speed limit.
Belizeans tend to be some of the friendliest people on earth and are eager to share the beauty and adventure that await travelers to Belize. Historically, Belize has been influenced by a variety of cultures including Mayan, Mestizo, Spanish, Creole, Garifuna, and even East Indian and Chinese. These influences are especially evident in the local cuisine and traditions.
Lodging in Belize ranges from simple budget properties to luxurious resorts and private villas. Geographically speaking, the country is small, making it easy to break up your Belize vacation between destinations. One of the most common preferences is to spend time on the mainland and finish off with a few days on the cayes.
Here is a look at some of the adventures that await travelers to Belize:
- Dive the world-renowned Blue Hole
- Drive a golf cart on the cayes
- Snorkel Hol Chan, one of the largest barrier reefs in the world
- Enjoy a cold Belikin beer
- Eat fresh ceviche on the cayes
- Climb Caracol’s Caana or “Sky Palace” temple, the tallest Mayan building in Belize, which stands at 136 feet
- Rappel down a waterfall at Bocawina National Park
- Hop in a tube and float down the river through scenic caves
- Check out Maya skeletal remains in Actun Tunichil Muknal (ATM) cave
- Eat Rice and Beans with stew chicken
- Stay in the Royal Suite at Chaa Creek, where Prince Harry once stayed
- Rent a private beachfront villa on Ambergris Caye
- Visit Dangriga, a real Garifuna village
- Hike through Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary, the world’s first Jaguar preserve
Address: Floral Park Road
Belmopan, Cayo Belize
Phone:011-501-822-4011 (business hours);
After hours 011-501-610-5030