Victoria Zidwick a RoamRight Blog Author

Do I Need SCUBA Diving Insurance When on Vacation?

Many travelers purchase travel insurance to provide coverage for things such as trip cancellation, lost or stolen luggage, and medical emergencies suffered overseas. However, if you plan to participate in adventure sports while on your trip, you may also need to purchase an additional upgrade in order to have coverage.

SCUBA diving is one adventurous activity that people may try when traveling But, under Arch RoamRight plans, the details of your SCUBA diving excursion may determine whether you need an upgrade or if you’re covered by the base travel insurance plans.

Do I need the Hazardous Sports Upgrade?

With Arch RoamRight, the Hazardous Sports Upgrade provides coverage for things that can happen while participating in adventurous activities such as bungee jumping, SCUBA diving, and more. The Hazardous Sports Upgrade is available with the Arch RoamRight Elite plan as well as the partner-exclusive Arch RoamRight Pro and Pro Plus plans.

Depending on the details of your SCUBA dive, including your diving certification and the depth to which you plan on diving, you may be covered under the base Arch RoamRight travel insurance plans without an upgrade. Keep reading to find out if you’ll need to purchase the Hazardous Sports Upgrade.

Does the diver need to be either PADI or NAUI certified?

Under the base Arch RoamRight plans, a diver does NOT need to be certified provided:

  • The dive does not exceed 130 feet of water; or
  • There is a dive master present.

If a diver wants to go below 130 feet without a dive master present, they must be PADI or NAUI certified and have purchased coverage through the Hazardous Sports Upgrade.

Do you have to be with a dive instructor?

To be eligible for coverage, A dive instructor is only required if the diver is not PADI or NAUI certified and the dive exceeds 130 feet of water.

What is the maximum dive depth covered?

All dives above 130 feet are covered.

If a diver wants to go below that depth, they must either:

  • Have a dive master present during the dive. This is covered under Arch RoamRight’s base plans.
  • Be PADI or NAUI certified. This is covered under the Hazardous Sports Upgrade.

Other helpful pages on SCUBA diving and travel insurance

Learn more about the insurance features Arch RoamRight provides for adventure travel types, such as:

Note: Available plans and coverages may have changed since this blog was published.

About the Author

Victoria Zidwick

Victoria Zidwick, a RoamRight Blog Author RoamRight's Marketing Communications Specialist, Victoria Zidwick, has worked in the travel insurance industry for more than five years. She has traveled extensively throughout the United States and has a handful of international travel experiences.Victoria's travel experiences have changed in recent years, as her family grows and she is learning the ins and outs of traveling with children. Connect with Victoria on LinkedIn or follow her onTwitter or Google Plus.

Get A Free Travel Insurance Quote 

Travel smarter with travel insurance from RoamRight. Get your free, no-obligation quote online today.

I'm a partner, take me to my portal

Stay Connected!

Sign up for RoamRight's FREE monthly email newsletter to get travel tips, tricks, news, ideas, and inspiration!

The RoamRight mark is used by Arch Insurance Company and owned by its parent company, Arch Capital Group (U.S.). Insurance coverages are underwritten by Arch Insurance Company, NAIC #11150, under certain policy series, including LTP 2013 and amendments thereto. Certain terms, conditions, restrictions and exclusions apply and coverages may vary in certain states. In the event of any conflict between your policy terms and coverage descriptions on this website, the terms and conditions of your policy shall govern. Click here for privacy notice.

Copyright© 2024 Arch Insurance Company. All rights reserved.