Be sure to also read our first three parts of the Top Travel Insurance Questions Answered series:
- Top 10 Travel Insurance Plan Questions Answered
- Top Travel Insurance Questions Answered: Part Two
- More Top Travel Insurance Questions Answered
Does travel insurance cover claimable events occurring as a result of alcohol?
In general, claimable events that happen as result of being under the influence of alcohol is always excluded from coverage under Arch RoamRight travel insurance plans. This includes, but is not limited to, coverage for trip cancellation, trip interruption, trip delay, and emergency medical expense.
Does travel insurance cover electronics such as cell phones and laptops?
Yes, you can have coverage for lost, stolen, or damaged cell phones and laptops under the Baggage & Personal Effects benefit in Arch RoamRight plans. There is however a combined maximum for these items that varies based on which plan you select. You should read your policy before purchasing in order to understand the combined maximum of these items.
What is the difference between travel insurance, travel medical insurance, and travel health insurance?
Travel insurance is a type of coverage that helps protect you if your vacation or business travel plans change. It also may provide travel medical insurance for emergencies that occur outside of your network.
The benefits and features outlined below vary from plan to plan. You can click on each listing for a more detailed description of each travel insurance feature, including exclusions and limits.
- Trip Cancellation: If you can’t go on your trip due to an unexpected reason
- Trip Interruption: If you’re already on your trip and need to return home for an unexpected reason
- Emergency Accident & Sickness Medical Expense: For medical emergencies that may occur when traveling
- Emergency Dental Expense: For dental emergencies that may occur when traveling
- Medical Evacuation: In an emergency, provides transportation to a medical facility that can provide appropriate care
- Security Evacuation: Assistance in the event of natural disaster, civil uprising, military coup, or political unrest
- Baggage & Personal Effects Coverage: If your baggage is lost, stolen, damaged, or delayed
You can also purchase a plan that emphasizes travel medical insurance coverage. This type of coverage does not provide any pre-departure benefits such as trip cancellation but may also include medical evacuation, repatriation and baggage and personal effects coverage.
However, it is important to understand the difference between travel medical and travel health insurance. While travel medical insurance is designed to provide emergency medical coverage for short-term trips out of the country – such as a vacation – travel health insurance is a long-term alternative for those who plan to spend an extended period of time outside of their home country.
Travel medical insurance plans, like those offered by Arch RoamRight, only cover trips of a maximum of 180 days and can provide coverage for medical emergencies, such as broken bones or emergency surgeries.
Travel health insurance is for trips longer than 180 days and usually provides coverage for preventative care, doctor visits, and elective surgeries. Arch RoamRight does not offer travel health insurance.
Is there an age limit for purchasing travel insurance?
With Arch RoamRight, there are no age limits for travel insurance coverage. Under our plans, one child under the age of 18 is included in the coverage for each related adult.