Victoria Zidwick a RoamRight Blog Author

Security and Political Evacuation Travel Insurance: What Is It, And What Does It Cover?

Earlier this month, Haiti experienced widespread and violent protesting that put many people in danger, including visitors from the United States.

On April 9, the U.S. State Department issued a Level 4 travel advisory warning Americans to not travel to Haiti.

However, travelers in Haiti prior to the advisory may need help. Fortunately, they may have coverage for a Security and Political Evacuation under their travel insurance policy, if they are in danger due to the protest.

What does Security and Political Evacuation Travel Insurance cover?

Under Arch RoamRight’s Security and Political Evacuation coverage, you can have coverage for all reasonable evacuation expenses incurred for transportation to the nearest safe haven if you must leave your trip for a covered Political or Security event. Following the evacuation, you can also have coverage for a one-way transportation ticket to your host or home country.

If you are covered under an Arch RoamRight travel insurance policy, these evacuations and further transportation is arranged by our designated assistance provider listed in your policy.

What are some of the conditions or limitations?

Under an Arch RoamRight plan, there is not coverage for Political and Security Evacuation from your home country. Due to the ongoing political climate in certain areas, this type of coverage is also not available for travelers going to several other countries, including:

  • Afghanistan,
  • Chechnya,
  • Democratic Republic of the Congo,
  • Iran,
  • Iraq,
  • Israel Gaza Strip,
  • Israel West Bank,
  • Ivory Coast,
  • Lebanon,
  • Libya,
  • North Korea,
  • Somalia,
  • Sudan, or
  • Syria.

To be eligible for Security and Political Evacuation coverage, the evacuation must occur within 7 days of the Security or Political event.

These are just some of the conditions and limitations. For full details on Security and Political Evacuation coverage, including conditions and limitations, please refer to your policy.

What is a Security or Political Event as defined by the policy?

Under Arch RoamRight policies, a Political or Security event means:

  • A natural disaster (earthquake, flood, fire, hurricane, blizzard, avalanche, tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, or landslide that is due to natural causes)
  • Civil, military or political unrest for which a formal written recommendation from the appropriate local government authorities, or the U.S. State Department, for you to leave a country is issued
  • You being expelled or declared a persona non-grata by a country you are visiting on your trip

What happens once you are evacuated?

Once you are evacuated to a safe place by our assistance provider, you have two options: you can return to your home country or to a host country. A host country is a country you are visiting or in which you are living that is not your home country.

This one-way transportation can be covered under your Arch RoamRight travel insurance policy.

How do I get security evacuation coverage?

At Arch RoamRight, security and political evacuation coverage comes standard with most plans, including our Elite, Preferred and Essential policies.

Note: Available plans and coverages may have changed since this blog was published.

About the Author

Victoria Zidwick

Victoria Zidwick, a RoamRight Blog Author RoamRight's Marketing Communications Specialist, Victoria Zidwick, has worked in the travel insurance industry for more than five years. She has traveled extensively throughout the United States and has a handful of international travel experiences.Victoria's travel experiences have changed in recent years, as her family grows and she is learning the ins and outs of traveling with children. Connect with Victoria on LinkedIn or follow her onTwitter or Google Plus.

Get A Free Travel Insurance Quote 

Travel smarter with travel insurance from RoamRight. Get your free, no-obligation quote online today.

I'm a partner, take me to my portal

Stay Connected!

Sign up for RoamRight's FREE monthly email newsletter to get travel tips, tricks, news, ideas, and inspiration!

The RoamRight mark is used by Arch Insurance Company and owned by its parent company, Arch Capital Group (U.S.). Insurance coverages are underwritten by Arch Insurance Company, NAIC #11150, under certain policy series, including LTP 2013 and amendments thereto. Certain terms, conditions, restrictions and exclusions apply and coverages may vary in certain states. In the event of any conflict between your policy terms and coverage descriptions on this website, the terms and conditions of your policy shall govern. Click here for privacy notice.

Copyright© 2024 Arch Insurance Company. All rights reserved.