Victoria Zidwick a RoamRight Blog Author

Does Travel Insurance Cover Lost or Stolen Passports?

It’s a big “uh-oh” moment: You had your passport, and now it’s missing. If you’re in a foreign country – you may wonder how you’ll get home. If you haven’t yet left on your trip, how will your travel plans be affected? Fortunately, if you have already purchased travel insurance, you may have some coverage.

What kind of coverage can travel insurance provide if you lose your passport?

Trip Delay

Trip delay is a benefit that may provide coverage if you are delayed for a specified time period while en route to or returning from your trip due to a covered Travel Hazard. For most Arch RoamRight plans, that delay must be six or more hours. However, the time period may change depending on the plan, so it is important to be familiar with the benefit for the plan you purchase.

One covered Travel Hazard for Trip Delay benefits occurs when either you or your traveling companion loses a passport or other travel documents, or has them stolen. In order for the travel insurance benefits to be provided in this instance, it must be substantiated by a police report. You may also want to review our blog post “What to Do if You Get Robbed Overseas.”

Baggage and Personal Effects

As part of the baggage and personal effects coverage, Arch RoamRight may reimburse you for fees associated with the replacement of a passport or visa that is lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed during a covered trip.

Assistance Services & Passport Replacements

Arch RoamRight’s designated assistance provider can assist you in taking the necessary steps to replace passports, tickets, and other important travel documents. In cases where you lose or have your passport stolen while traveling abroad, you can go to your respective Embassy or consulate and apply for an emergency passport. U.S. Embassies give priority to people requesting an emergency passport to continue their trip or to leave the country. Try going to the Embassy right after you’ve finished with the police.

In order to receive a new passport, you will have to fill out a lost passport statement, also known as a DS-64. You can do this online before going to the Embassy by visiting the State Department’s website.

In addition to the DS-64, you will also need the following in order to replace your passport:

  • A passport photo (it is recommended that you get this in advance prior to starting the process to replace your passport)
  • Identification (such as driver’s license or photocopy of stolen passport)
  • Evidence of U.S. citizenship (such as photocopy of your stolen passport)
  • Travel itinerary (transportation tickets)
  • DS-11 Application for Passport (this can be completed at time of application)

Is there coverage for invalid or expired passports?

Travel insurance does not cover any costs associated with invalid or expired passports. Before going on your trip, be sure to check if your passport will be valid for departure, the duration of your trip and your return back home. Certain countries may require that your passport be valid for a specified time period after your travel dates, so check the requirements in your destination. Also check to make sure that your passport is compliant with the State Department’s requirements.

Note: Available plans and coverages may have changed since this blog was published.


About the Author

Victoria Zidwick

Victoria Zidwick, a RoamRight Blog Author RoamRight's Marketing Communications Specialist, Victoria Zidwick, has worked in the travel insurance industry for more than five years. She has traveled extensively throughout the United States and has a handful of international travel experiences.Victoria's travel experiences have changed in recent years, as her family grows and she is learning the ins and outs of traveling with children. Connect with Victoria on LinkedIn or follow her onTwitter or Google Plus.

Get A Free Travel Insurance Quote 

Travel smarter with travel insurance from RoamRight. Get your free, no-obligation quote online today.

I'm a partner, take me to my portal

Stay Connected!

Sign up for RoamRight's FREE monthly email newsletter to get travel tips, tricks, news, ideas, and inspiration!

The RoamRight mark is used by Arch Insurance Company and owned by its parent company, Arch Capital Group (U.S.). Insurance coverages are underwritten by Arch Insurance Company, NAIC #11150, under certain policy series, including LTP 2013 and amendments thereto. Certain terms, conditions, restrictions and exclusions apply and coverages may vary in certain states. In the event of any conflict between your policy terms and coverage descriptions on this website, the terms and conditions of your policy shall govern. Click here for privacy notice.

Copyright© 2024 Arch Insurance Company. All rights reserved.